LAS VEGAS – Canelo Alvarez reiterated during his post-match press conference late Saturday night that he wants a rematch with Dimitri Bevol.
However, the Division 4 champion will not be committed to whether he fights Bevol a second time in his next fight. Alvarez had already agreed to face opponent Gennady Golovkin in their long-awaited third fight on September 17 at an unspecified location before cornering Bevol on Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena.
The Mexican icon could slip back into the 168-pound division and move on to that third fight against Golovkin four months from now. Russia’s Bevol (20-0, 11 KOs) will still be contractually obligated to give Alvarez a rematch, which could come in the third fight of Alvarez’s three-fight agreement with DAZN and Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing if Alvarez (57-2-2, 39 KOs) chooses a showdown. Against Golovkin again in his next fight.
“We’ll go see what’s next, let’s talk about it and we’ll let you know,” Alvarez said through an interpreter.
When pressed, whether he fought Bevol or Golovkin, if he still intends to return to the ring on September 17, Alvarez replied, “We’ll see what happens in the future. But we just have to wait and see.”
Alvarez, who will turn 32 on July 18, has fought in May and September three times since 2012 because his May fights are scheduled either in or near Cinco de Mayo, and the September bouts have occurred on Mexican Independence Day, which is celebrated Every September 16, or around that time. He also fought in May and returned to play in November, though, since 2012, which could indicate he’s taking a longer breather between his loss to Bevol and his next fight.
Regardless, Alvarez insists he will judge Bevol again because the former Sterling King of Boxing wants to redeem himself after a decisive defeat in their 12-round fight for the Light Heavyweight title of Bevol. Alvarez lost by the same score, 115-113, on referees cards Tim Cheetham, Dave Moretti and Steve Weisfeld, but Bevol appeared to beat Alvarez more convincingly than that.
“We want the rematch, and we will do our best for the rematch,” Alvarez said.
Guadalajara’s Alvarez performed much better in his second match against Golovkin than he did during their first fight, which occurred in a controversial draw at T-Mobile Arena in September 2017. He defeated Golovkin by majority decision in their 12-round match in September 2018, also at T -Mobile Arena.
Embracing his third fight against Golovkin (42-1-1, 36 KOs) after that might make more sense for Alvarez because this showdown would be contested in his division with his best middleweight, and it would be a commercial success. The 40-year-old Golovkin would like to have their next third fight as well as it would not only be his shot to avenge the loss of the only Kazakhstan national, but it would also give the IBF/IBO/WBA middleweight champion a chance to become a boxer. The undisputed champion weighed 168 pounds, and for his biggest payday.
my normal weight, [where I’m] More comfortable, it’s 168, Alvarez said. “And this is where I feel the best. So, we will go and see if we have this match again [with Bivol]. “
Keith Edick is a senior writer/columnist at BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.